Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Oil Spill on the Douglas Channel






Oil Spill on the Douglas Channel


I was born in Kitimat, a small town at the head of the Douglas Channel, on the inland coast of north-central British Columbia, Canada. I was raised in the nearby Haisla Community of Kitamaat Village. 
Almost my entire life has been spent on, or near to, the waters of The Douglas Channel. A major part of my food source has always been the Douglas Channel and neighboring waters and lands. This is my home. This has been home to my family for countless generations. 
The spirit of my Indigenous Ancestry remains deeply and firmly rooted in the history and in the physical matter of this territory. I have seen the bones of my ancestors in the remains of bent wood boxes in the forest, where they were placed by family members. The stone tools on my ancestors may be found in the soil of this land. Remains of our historic technology can be found here in the landscape and the seascape. 
I work on the waters of the Douglas Channel. Each time that I cast my gaze across these waters I am filled with the dread of the day when news comes that there has been an oil spill into these waters.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave constuctive comments, thoughts and ideas, as well as suggestions as to what you may wish to have included on this blog page. Thank you.